Problem on F10 with 2.6.29-rc7

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Sat Mar 07 2009 - 17:23:31 EST

Greetings;

I've been meaning to post this for several days. I built 2.6.29-rc7 the night
it was released and was booted to it for about 4 hours the next morning, but
lots of things didn't work or feel right. On investigation the usual
complement of about 50 copies of console-helper-daemon were not running.
Rebooting to my current 2.6.28.7 restored the console-help-daemon to the alive
and well status.

su'ing to a user was one of the things that just didn't work, no user $PATH
seemed to be part of the problem, but an echo $PATH indicted it was normal.

The system gradually fell apart, and I tried to do a graceful shutdown/reboot
to see if it would preserve a working network, but that failed and I had to
use the reset button after a couple of minutes. I don't recall now where it
hung on the shutdown now, but I do recall seeing several bright-red FAIL
messages go by before it hung. It had not managed to turn off the network
PHY's by the time it had hung, so I didn't get a chance to see if 2.6.28.7
would restore them, or if I had to go through the complete powerdown of the
whole room for 30 seconds to reset those as I had to do several times when
running 2.6.29-rc5. That, IMO, is a PITA. And no one has explained the
reason for this change that doesn't seem to appear in the ChangeLogs in
recognizable form.

I have also had to wander through the system resetting both ownerships and
selinux contexts for about 50 files since that 4 hour session.

Can someone clarify this for me?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)