Re: [BUG,2.6.29-rc7,s390] System goes into endless loop during boot or logon

From: Frans Pop
Date: Mon Mar 09 2009 - 12:18:24 EST

On Monday 09 March 2009, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> > Hmmm. Your commit log message for
> > ca109491f612aab5c8152207631c0444f63da97f does explicitly mention the
> > risk of an infinite loop, as does a comment in
> > hrtimer_enqueue_reprogram().
> >
> > Any chance the cause is there? Any way to test for that?
>
> a6037b61c2f5fc99c57c15b26d7cfa58bbb34008 should have fixed the
> mentioned issue (along with the deadlock mentioned in the changelog).

OK. Thanks for explaining.

> Doesn't this s390 thing have a sysrq key you can press to get some
> traces out?

As mentioned in my first reply this morning, AFAIK I have no way to
trigger the kernel's sysrq function.

The emulator does have an option to trace what's running on it. The
problem is that I have no idea myself how to translate that output to
what the kernel is doing, nor what would be needed to be able to do such
a translation. If someone else does know how to use it, I'd be happy to
provide the info.

Note that the last few days I've been tracing two other issues that
appeared since 2.6.26 in the same environment, both of which are timing
related. See:
- http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/3/9/112
which fixes http://marc.info/?t=123629272600002&r=1&w=2
- http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/3/9/166