Re: linux-next: Tree for March 10 (crypto & NLATTR)

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Tue Mar 10 2009 - 15:57:32 EST

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 19:57, Randy Dunlap <randy.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Stephen Rothwell wrote:
>> Changes since 20090306:
>>

>> The driver-core tree gained a build failure due to a conflict with the
>> crypto tree. ÂI have applied a patch to the crypto tree for today.
>
> I had several (4 of 50) randconfig builds fail with:
>
> lib/built-in.o: In function `__nla_reserve_nohdr':
> (.text+0xd08d): undefined reference to `skb_put'
> lib/built-in.o: In function `__nla_reserve':
> (.text+0xd121): undefined reference to `skb_put'
> lib/built-in.o: In function `nla_append':
> (.text+0xd493): undefined reference to `skb_put'
>
> which happens with CONFIG_NET=n, CONFIG_CRYPTO=y, CONFIG_CRYPTO_ZLIB=[my].
>
> CRYPTO_ZLIB selects NLATTR, but obviously the build of nlattr.c fails
> when CONFIG_NET=n. ÂShould CRYPTO_ZLIB depend on NET?
> Please don't say that CRYPTO_ZLIB should select NET.

Bummer, my fault (commit e9cc8bddaea3944fabfebb968bc88d603239beed,
netlink: Move netlink attribute parsing support to lib).

Obviously I was only worried about crypto/zlib.c needing nlattr.c
without pulling in the whole networking code, not about nlattr.c
itself needing networking functionality. But still, how could I have
missed this compile failure?

Does it sound sane to protect the routines that do call skb_put() by
#ifdef CONFIG_NET?

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds