Re: [GIT PULL] x86: add brk allocator for very early allocations

From: Eric W. Biederman
Date: Wed Mar 11 2009 - 15:20:29 EST

Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> Aggregate patch below.
>
> The following changes since commit 11f5585820ae805c48f41c09bc260d0e51744792:
> Ingo Molnar (1):
> Merge branch 'tracing/ftrace'
>
> are available in the git repository at:
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jeremy/xen.git push/x86/brk
>
> Jeremy Fitzhardinge (4):
> x86: make section delimiter symbols part of their section
> x86: add brk allocation for very, very early allocations
> x86-32: use brk segment for allocating initial kernel pagetable
> x86: use brk allocation for DMI

Nacked-by: "Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

extend_brk is the wrong way to go. We already have a better mechanism.
find_e820_early paired with reserve_early.

Allocating the early page tables are a very special case. There is
a case for cleaning up that mechanism and making more comprehensible.
We should not be generalizing it, and making the kernel more fragile.

Overall I think there is a lot of good work in the patch, but taken
as a whole it seems to be moving us in the wrong direction.

Eric