Re: VFS, NFS security bug? Should CAP_MKNOD andCAP_LINUX_IMMUTABLE be added to CAP_FS_MASK?

From: J. Bruce Fields
Date: Wed Mar 11 2009 - 19:24:21 EST

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 03:53:34PM +0300, Igor Zhbanov wrote:
> Hello!
>
> It seems that CAP_MKNOD and CAP_LINUX_IMMUTABLE were forgotten to be
> added to CAP_FS_MASK_B0 in linux-2.6.x and to CAP_FS_MASK in
> linux-2.4.x. Both capabilities affects file system and can be
> considered file system capabilities.

Sounds right to me--I'd expect rootsquash to guarantee that new device
nodes can't be created from the network. Cc'ing random people from the
git log for include/linux/capability.h in hopes they can help.

--b.

(Also: my copy of mknod(2) claims "Linux... does not have the CAP_MKNOD
capability". I assume the manpage is out of date?)