Re: [BUG,2.6.28,s390] Fails to boot in Hercules S/390 emulator

From: john stultz
Date: Wed Mar 11 2009 - 20:34:21 EST

On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 20:05 +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> Sorry for the mail flood. This is the last one and then I'm going to wait for some reactions.
>
> On Wednesday 11 March 2009, Frans Pop wrote:
> > So, lets look next what happens if I allow clock->error to be changed
> > here. This makes the boot fail and I believe that this is the critical
> > change in 5cd1c9c5cf30.
> [...]
> > Note that clock->xtime_nsec is now running backwards and the crazy
> > values for clock->error.
> >
> > From this I conclude that clock->error is getting buggered somewhere
> > else: we get a completely different value back from what is calculated
> > here. The calculation here is still correct:
> > $ echo $(( -4292487689804800 + (-256 << 24) ))
> > -4292491984772096
> >
> > I suspect that clock->error running back is what causes my hang.
>
> s/clock->error/clock->xtime_nsec/ of course.
>
> Looking a bit closer at what Roman's patch 5cd1c9c5cf30 does, I see this:
>
> - clock->xtime_nsec += (s64)xtime.tv_nsec << clock->shift;
> + clock->xtime_nsec = (s64)xtime.tv_nsec << clock->shift;
> [...]
> clocksource_adjust(offset);
> - xtime.tv_nsec = (s64)clock->xtime_nsec >> clock->shift;
> + xtime.tv_nsec = ((s64)clock->xtime_nsec >> clock->shift) + 1;
> clock->xtime_nsec -= (s64)xtime.tv_nsec << clock->shift;
> + clock->error += clock->xtime_nsec << (NTP_SCALE_SHIFT - clock->shift);
>
> So, in the old situation the code first added xtime.tv_nsec to
> clock->xtime_nsec and later subtracted it again, so there's symmetry.
>
> In the new code we no longer do the first, but still do the second. That
> seems strange and probably upsets assumptions in the code in between, which
> includes the call to clocksource_adjust(). AFAICT this is the root cause of
> the overflow visible in my earliest traces.
> I've done some tries to correct that, but did not find anything that really
> worked.

No not quite. We use clock->xtime_nsec to store the high precision
xtime.tv_nsec. Its use is as follows:

1) We initialize it to xtime.tv_nsec << clock->shift
2) We accumulate into it
3) We tweak it as needed from clocksource_adjust()
4) We then store its value shifted back down and rounded up into
xtiem.tv_nsec.
5) We calculate the the difference between the rounded up value and
xtime_nsec, and add it to the error.

I'm still a little baffled, but I figure I can try to reproduce this
myself. So I'm working setting up hercules environment here to see if I
can't trigger it. Any help with config or links to your environment
would be great.

thanks
-john