Re: [Tech-board] Google Summer of Code 2009: Linux kernel projectideas

From: Greg KH
Date: Thu Mar 12 2009 - 22:59:31 EST

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 12:07:39AM +0100, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> last year we had also mentored two Linux kernel projects as part of the
> Linux Foundation's participation in the Google Summer of Code and these
> projects got successfully completed.

What projects were they?

> Also this year the Linux Foundation is applying as a mentoring
> organization. To get the best chances to get accepted, we will need a
> project idea list which a variety of projects.
>
> In addition, the Linux kernel is a big project always searching for new
> developers and having work to be done.
>
> Therefore I ask you whether you are interested to mentor GSoC students
> to work on some kernel projects. If so, please add your project ideas to
> our ideas list:
>
> https://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Google_Summer_of_Code_2009
>
> Best would be to add them before the org application deadline tomorrow,
> Friday, March 13, 7pm UTC, so that the people from Google find a rich
> ideas list when selecting the orgs.
>
> If the kernel is entering as a mentoring organization by itself, please
> tell. Then we will remove the kernel group from our ideas list.

I don't see any change from the past few years when this has come up in
the past with regards to projects relating to the kernel. Do you know
of any?

Also, please note that Portland State University has traditionally
sponsered a few kernel projects every year for quite some time now with
very good results, so there is some competition there...

(ob disclosure, I'm a mentor for PSU's GSoC group.)

thanks,

greg k-h