Re: [GIT PULL] x86: add brk allocator for very early allocations

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Fri Mar 13 2009 - 18:49:58 EST

Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:

INIT_MAP_BEYOND_END = BOOTBITMAP_SIZE + (PAGE_TABLE_SIZE +
ALLOCATOR_SLOP)*PAGE_SIZE_asm

no user for INIT_MAP_BEYOND_END any more.

There are several remaining references:

: abulafia:pts/0; grep INIT_MAP_BEYOND_END arch/x86/kernel/head_32.S INIT_MAP_BEYOND_END = BOOTBITMAP_SIZE + (PAGE_TABLE_SIZE + ALLOCATOR_SLOP)*PAGE_SIZE_asm
* and PAGE_OFFSET for up to _end+sizeof(page tables)+INIT_MAP_BEYOND_END.
* End condition: we must map up to and including INIT_MAP_BEYOND_END
leal (INIT_MAP_BEYOND_END+PTE_IDENT_ATTR)(%edi),%ebp
* End condition: we must map up to and including INIT_MAP_BEYOND_END
leal (INIT_MAP_BEYOND_END+PTE_IDENT_ATTR)(%edi),%ebp

Are you saying they're redundant and should be removed?

Those references are just the actual reservation of memory. If all the users of that memory are converted to either brk or bss, INIT_MAP_BEYOND_END should be removed. If all the users of that memory aren't converted to brk to bss, we should do so.

-hpa