Re: Off-by-one in both LIBATA and IDE drivers

From: Alan Cox
Date: Sat Mar 14 2009 - 04:47:54 EST

> ata_piix should definitely attach to 8086/7111 regardless of the
> subsystem IDs. I can't really explain why it's not. You should at least
> be seeing a message about the ata_piix version, if not then somehow the
> driver probe function isn't even being called..

Because on at least some kernels

hda=noprobe ... etc

does not stop the old IDE layer grabbing the PCI device and continuing to
claim ownership (which means ATA cannot attach to it). Arguably this is
correct behaviour as the IDE layer was asked to ignore the devices *NOT*
to ignore the controller.

Alan