Re: 2.6.29-rcx triviality - How to have foo.ko module with same nameas foo.c source file

From: Boaz Harrosh
Date: Sun Mar 15 2009 - 06:16:21 EST

Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 12:05:42PM +0200, Boaz Harrosh wrote:
>> Since sometime in the 2.6.29-rc I'm no longer able to produce an
>> out-of-tree module that has the same base-name as a source file.
>>
>> This is what I had in 2.6.28:
>> <Kbuild>
>> obj-m += foo.o
>> </Kbuild>
>> Where foo.c is a source file in the same directory.
>>
>> But since 2.6.29-rcx it will no longer build my foo.ko module. I
>> had to change it to:
>> <Kbuild>
>> foo_mod-y = foo.o
>> obj-m += foo_mod.o
>> </Kbuild>
>> Which changed my module name in scripts and packages.
>
> We use the single .c file for a module with the same name as the
> module all over the kernel.
>
> What is more likely is that your module started to include an
> additional sourcefile (antoehr .o) in which case you no longer
> can have a source file sharing the name of the module.
>
>> P.S:
>> Just asking I realized that I can just add an "mv ..." command to my make file.
>
> Using mv is no-no..
>
> Sam

Hey hi, that was really fast ;) Thanks

I realize that in-tree it works for sure. It's when I use the "make -M ..." out-of-tree
and... No, I changed nothing, I had this, one liner, one source, one module and all of a sudden
it does not build. Let me check if it is a dependency problem (not rebuilding when things change)
or does it not build at all. Checking ...

Boaz