Re: Linux 2.6.29-rc6

From: Jesper Krogh
Date: Sun Mar 15 2009 - 14:39:03 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009, Jesper Krogh wrote:
Linus Torvalds wrote:
Regardless of whether is succeeds or not, it will print out some debug
messages, which will be interesting to see.

[ 0.000000] Fast TSC delta=34227730, error=6223+6219=12442
[ 0.000000] Fast TSC calibration using PIT
[ 0.000000] Detected 2312.045 MHz processor.

Ok. This claims that the error really is smaller than 500ppm (it's about 360 ppm). Which is about what we're aiming for (in real life, the actual error is about half that - we're just adding up the error terms for maximum theoretical error).

Using "ntpq -c peers" .. the offset steadily grows as time goes.

Full dmesg: http://krogh.cc/~jesper/dmesg-linux-2.6.29-rc8-linus1.txt

jk@quad11:~$ ntpdc -c kerninfo
pll offset: 0.085167 s
pll frequency: -18.722 ppm
maximum error: 0.137231 s
estimated error: 0.008823 s
status: 0001 pll
pll time constant: 6
precision: 1e-06 s
frequency tolerance: 500 ppm

Hmm. But now it all seems to _work_, no? Or do you still get time resets?

My conclusion was that I would get a time reset after some time since the offset just increased as time went by (being reasonably small at the
beginning).

I had it up for around 30 minutes... Should I have tested longer?

I went on to trying Thomas Gleixners patch (which seems to do excactly the same .. ), I'll write a reply in to that message in a few minutes.

--
Jesper