RE: [patch 1/5] x86, bts: detect size of DS fields

From: Metzger, Markus T
Date: Tue Mar 17 2009 - 08:58:19 EST

In that case, I would need to double the interface. So far, I used
task == NULL to indicate tracing on the current cpu. I could turn
this into:
ds_request_bts_task(struct task_struct *task, ....) and
ds_request_bts_cpu(int cpu, ....)

This way, I could do the allocation using GFP_KERNEL and then
do the wrmsrl() to enable tracing using smp_call_function().

Does that sound better?

>the other callsites are buggy too:
>
> smp_call_function_single(cpu, bts_trace_start_cpu, NULL, 1);
>
>done under the bts_tracer_lock in addition to an atomic IPI
>context.

That lock synchronizes the on_each_cpu initialization calls with the
hotplug handler.
The for_each_online_cpu iteration in smp_call_function_many() may
race with the smp_call_function_single() when a new cpu arrives or
departs.

>for_each_online_cpu() done under the mutex would be better i
>guess, plus you can allocate any memory before you do the SMP
>cross-call, and pass it to the IPI handler via the data
>parameter. (NULL in the sequence above)

The memory is allocated by ds_request_bts(). It holds the tracer
struct returned to the caller. The struct is private to ds.c.

regards,
markus.
Intel GmbH
Dornacher Strasse 1
85622 Feldkirchen/Muenchen Germany
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Douglas Lusk, Peter Gleissner, Hannes Schwaderer
Registergericht: Muenchen HRB 47456 Ust.-IdNr.
VAT Registration No.: DE129385895
Citibank Frankfurt (BLZ 502 109 00) 600119052