Re: ?????: VFS, NFS security bug? Should CAP_MKNOD and CAP_LINUX_IMMUTABLE be added to CAP_FS_MASK?

From: Casey Schaufler
Date: Wed Mar 18 2009 - 12:18:19 EST

Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> Quoting Stephen Smalley (sds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx):
>
>> On Tue, 2009-03-17 at 12:39 -0500, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
>>
>>> Quoting Stephen Smalley (sds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx):

>>> Sorry, I meant CAP_SETFCAP. Should it be added?
>>>
>> Sure - it is only used for filesystem operations.
>>

> Ok, so then:

>>> So it is. I didn't realize that.

>>> So if a non-selinux kernel is booted, then you think only the usual
>>> DAC checks should be required to set selinux labels?
>>>
>> I'm talking about the dumb NFS server case (non-SELinux NFS server
>> providing label and data storage to SELinux clients, MAC enforcement
>> handled client-side). But we aren't there yet, so I don't think we have
>> to worry about it right now.
>>

> But in cap_inode_setxattr, any security.* xattrs are controlled by
> CAP_SYS_ADMIN. So do you think that this should be changed to a
> CAP_XATTR_SECURITY capability which can be added to CAP_FS_MASK?

Hum. The intention of CAP_MAC_ADMIN was that it control the explicit
setting of the access control attributes used by the Smack LSM. I
personally prefer a single capability for the action over multiple
capabilities based on the objects involved. If you introduce
CAP_XATTR_SECURITY I would think that CAP_PROC_XATTR,
CAP_SVIPC_XATTR, CAP_NETWORK_XATTR, ... would follow in short order
and I hate the idea of having hundreds of capabilities. If you
must decouple the capability from MAC, how about a new name?