Re: ftruncate-mmap: pages are lost after writing to mmaped file.

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Mar 18 2009 - 19:43:08 EST

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009, Ying Han wrote:

> > Can you say what filesystem, and what mount-flags you use? Iirc, last time
> > we had MAP_SHARED lost writes it was at least partly triggered by the
> > filesystem doing its own flushing independently of the VM (ie ext3 with
> > "data=journal", I think), so that kind of thing does tend to matter.
>
> /etc/fstab
> "/dev/hda1 / ext2 defaults 1 0"

Sadly, /etc/fstab is not necessarily accurate for the root filesystem. At
least Fedora will ignore the flags in it.

What does /proc/mounts say? That should be a more reliable indication of
what the kernel actually does.

That said, I assume the ext2 part is accurate. Maybe that's why people
haven't seen it - I guess most testing was done on ext3. It certainly was
for me.

> > Ying Han - since you're all set up for testing this and have reproduced it
> > on multiple kernels, can you try it on a few more kernel versions? It
> > would be interesting to both go further back in time (say 2.6.15-ish),
> > _and_ check something like 2.6.21 which had the exact dirty accounting
> > fix. Maybe it's not really an old bug - maybe we re-introduced a bug that
> > was fixed for a while.
>
> I will give a try.

Thanks,

Linus