Re: 2.6.29-rc8: Reported regressions from 2.6.28

From: Jeff Chua
Date: Wed Mar 18 2009 - 22:58:54 EST

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 3:22 AM, Johannes Berg
<johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm on 0191b62 now and cannot reproduce the problem with
> iwlwifi hardware and a linksys (broadcom-based) AP wit
> hidden SSID.

I think I know why it works on your but not mind.

I've tracked down to the sequence of iwconfig that causes it to fail.

I can now get vanilla 2.6.28-rc8 to work (7/10 times) by changing the
sequence of iwconfig.

This loop does not work at all without John's patch , but will work
100% when patched.
iwconfig wlan0 mode Managed essid xxx key restricted xxx
for((i = 0; i < 5; i++))
do
iwconfig wlan0 ap auto channel auto # auto inside loop
iwconfig wlan0 | grep -q "Access Point: Not-Associated"
[ $? -ne 0 ] && break
echo ".\c"
sleep 1
done

This loop only works 8 of 10 times with/without the patch.
iwconfig wlan0 mode Managed essid xxx key restricted xxx
iwconfig wlan0 ap auto channel auto # auto outside loop
for((i = 0; i < 5; i++))
do
iwconfig wlan0 | grep -q "Access Point: Not-Associated"
[ $? -ne 0 ] && break
echo ".\c"
sleep 1
done

The only difference is having "iwconfig wlan0 ap auto channel auto"
inside the loop.

> Then send me the relevant dmesg output from a working and a
> failed attempt. You should see something like this
> [  318.420537] ieee80211 phy4: U iwl_bg_request_scan Start
> direct scan for 'myssid'

Yes, I see it.

> 2) You do see the line with the SSID, but you don't get any reply. In
> this case, please try doing it manually:
>        iwlist wlan0 scan essid 'myssid'
> Wait about 15 seconds between each attempt of doing so, and
> report whether your AP is listed in the results or not. If it isn't
> most of the time, then your AP is broken.

Can be broken if it works with the patch? Also, it works with WinXP,
Nokia phone, and everything else.

Attached are 4 logs (all runs with the "auto" outside loop).
nopatch.fail
nopatch.pass
patched.fail
patched.pass