Re: Question about usage of RCU in the input layer

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Fri Mar 20 2009 - 01:06:23 EST

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 08:20:32PM -0700, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 19:07:50 -0700
> "Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 07:18:41AM -0700, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> > > one cpu is doing a lot of i2c traffic which is a bunch of udelay()s
> > > in loops.. then it does quite a bit of uncached memory access, and
> > > the lot takes quite while.

> > > during kernel boot.
> > >
> > > I suppose my question is also more generic.. why synchronize when
> > > it's not needed? At least based on my understanding of RCU (but
> > > you're the expert), you don't need to synchronize for an add, only
> > > between a delete and a (k)free.....
> >
> > I don't claim to understand the code in question, so it is entirely
> > possible that the following is irrelevant. But one other reason for
> > synchronize_rcu() is:
> >
> > 1. Make change.
> >
> > 2. synchronize_rcu()
> >
> > 3. Now you are guaranteed that all CPUs/tasks/whatever
> > currently running either are not messing with you on the one hand, or
> > have seen the change on the other.
>
> ok so this is for the case where someone is already iterating the list.
>
> I don't see anything in the code that assumes this..

I must let the networking guys sort this out.

> > It sounds like you are seeing these delays later in boot, however,
>
> yeah it's during driver init/
>
> > Alternatively, again assuming a single-CPU system
>
> single CPU is soooo last decade ;-)
> But seriously I no longer have systems that aren't dual core or SMT in
> some form...

OK, I will ask the stupid question...

Why not delay bringing up the non-boot CPUs until later in boot?
The first patch in my earlier email (which is in mainline) will shortcut
synchronize_rcu() whenever there is only one CPU is online, at least
for Classic RCU and Hierarchical RCU.

Thanx, Paul