[Announce] 2.6.29-rc8-rt2

From: Thomas Gleixner
Date: Fri Mar 20 2009 - 13:46:53 EST

We are pleased to announce the next update to our new preempt-rt
series.

- resurrected ARM and PowerPC support
- tracing fixes for ARM (Uwe Kleine-Koenig)

The support for ARM/PowerPC has only been lightly tested. It might
crash and burn your system, make your hair curl, frigthen your cat and
give you sleepless nights. You have been warned !

On PowerPC watch out for the following warning:

__do_IRQ called for irq X. PREEMPT_RT will crash your system soon.

__do_IRQ is deprecated and -rt does not support it anymore. Most of
the PowerPC subarchitectures do not longer use it, but you might be
unlucky and hit one of the remaining users. RT will spit out the
message above and then do what it said. :)

Download locations:

http://rt.et.redhat.com/download/
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/

Information on the RT patch can be found at:

http://rt.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page

to build the 2.6.29-rc8-rt1 tree, the following patches should be
applied:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/testing/linux-2.6.29-rc8.tar.bz2
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/patch-2.6.29-rc8-rt2.bz2

The broken out patches are also available at the same download
locations.

Enjoy !

tglx