Re: 2.6.27.19 + 28.7: network timeouts for r8169 and 8139too

From: Michael Buesch
Date: Sun Mar 22 2009 - 17:21:23 EST

On Sunday 22 March 2009 22:12:00 Francois Romieu wrote:
> Rui Santos <rsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxx> :
> [...]
> > I Finally ended up the big bisect operation. The commit responsible for
> > this issue is commit
> > b726e493e8dc13537d1d7f8cd66bcd28516606c3
> > labeled
> > 'r8169: sync existing 8168 device hardware start sequences with vendor
> > driver'
>
> Thanks a lot for the bisect.
>
> > With that patch removed, I was able to get a sustained 40MB/s+ on a
> > 20GB ftp transfer. I wasn't able to do it with the specified patch applied.
> > Just as a side note, I was never able to reproduce it on a 100MBit
> > connection, only on a full 1GBit one...

I can trigger it on a 100MBit connection, but it takes a _lot_ more time (something
like 4 hours or so of continuous traffic). On a 1GBit connection it takes only a few minutes.

> > However this patch will not reverse on the current kernel.
> >
> > What do you think the next step should be ?
> > As usual, if you need any testing, please do let me know.
>
> Can you see if one of the attached patches or a combination of them
> makes a difference for the current (-git) kernel ?

Thanks a lot. I will try these. Will take some time, because this is a
production server and I'll have to take care to not completely bring it down. :)

--
Greetings, Michael.