Re: [Bug #12792] 2.6.29-rc6-git4 boot failure

From: Sachin Sant
Date: Mon Mar 23 2009 - 01:05:16 EST

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
On Sat, 2009-03-21 at 17:39 +0100, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
This message has been generated automatically as a part of a report
of recent regressions.

The following bug entry is on the current list of known regressions
from 2.6.28. Please verify if it still should be listed and let me know
(either way).

Sachin, did you find anything about this one ?
Hi Ben,

I narrowed it down to 2.6.28-git2(Boots) while 2.6.28-git4(fails to boot).
I could not boot test 2.6.28-git3 as i ran into kernel compilation issues.

Here is the error message i got when i tried compiling 2.6.28-git3.

LD vmlinux.o
ld: dynreloc miscount for kernel/built-in.o, section .opd
ld: can not edit opd Bad value

I think the above one was some tool chain related issue.

I don't know how to git bisect using these two releases (2.6.28-git2/2.6.28-git4).
I guess that is not possible since there are no commit tags for these releases.
But i could be wrong.

Is there anything else that i could try out to find a solution for this ?
The machine in question is a Power Mac G5 running Ubuntu Hardy with a
PPC970, altivec supported CPU(2).

For the record i can still recreate this issue with 2.6.29-rc8-git6.

Thanks
-Sachin