Re: oops in tracepoint_update_probe_range()

From: Rusty Russell
Date: Mon Mar 23 2009 - 01:19:02 EST

On Friday 20 March 2009 02:50:30 Steven Rostedt wrote:
> > Are we supposed to assume that module.c allows loading modules with
> > incompatible struct module at all ? That sounds like we would be trying
> > to fix up things broken by the module loader in the first place.
>
> Then it should be WARN_ON, no need to lock up a box hard, and give the
> user in X with no serial, no idea why the box just locked up.

In case anyone wonders, I don't care in general (though I won't protest if
anyone else wants to put checks in their code). You can crash in all kinds of exotic ways using the wrong modules. If you are a kernel dev, modversions will often save you (eg. struct module changing). If not, the kernel version string should change. Otherwise, someone's just messing with you.

Hope that helps,
Rusty.