Re: 2.6.27.19 + 28.7: network timeouts for r8169 and 8139too

From: Rui Santos
Date: Mon Mar 23 2009 - 10:58:14 EST

Michael Büker wrote:
> On Sunday 22 March 2009, Francois Romieu wrote:
>
> I have not tried your patches, but I'd like to point out that I can also
> reproduce this error with a card that uses the 8139too driver, so it seems
> unlikely to me that the root of it all lies in the r8169 code.
>
> Please don't be annoyed if this comment is utterly unqualified, it just seems
> like a point that should be made :)

There are also a few other notes that should be taken into
consideration, witch I already mentioned:
1) I have 3 other NIC's on the same machine that also use r8169 driver.
I cannot reproduce this problem in any of them. These are PCI cards.
2) The card on which I can reproduce this problem is a PCI Express one (
on board ).
3) If I compile the kernel without MSI/MSI-X support, I can't also
reproduce the problem. You may test it by booting with pci=nomsi

I believe that Francoi's patches (correct me if I'm wrong), are meant
for him just be sure/clue on where the problem lies. I'll test those
patches in a few hours and will report back the results.

--
Regards,
Rui Santos