Re: Linux 2.6.29

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Tue Mar 24 2009 - 08:28:11 EST

Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> > I have not had this problem since I applied Arjan's (for some reason
>> > repeatedly rejected) patch to change the ioprio of the various writeback
>> > daemons. Under some loads changing to the noop I/O scheduler also seems
>> > to help (as do most of the non default ones)
>>
>> (link would be useful)
>

> "Give kjournald a IOPRIO_CLASS_RT io priority"
>
> October 2007 (yes its that old)

One issue discussed back then (also for a similar XFS patch) was
that having the kernel use the RT priorities by default makes
them useless as user override.

The proposal was to have a new priority level between normal and RT
for this, but noone implemented this.

-Andi

--
ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -- Speaking for myself only.