Re: Linux 2.6.29

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Mar 24 2009 - 15:27:22 EST

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009, Kyle Moffett wrote:

> Regardless of any journalling, a power-fail or a crash is almost
> certainly going to cause "data loss" of some variety.

The point is, if you write your metadata earlier (say, every 5 sec) and
the real data later (say, every 30 sec), you're actually MORE LIKELY to
see corrupt files than if you try to write them together.

And if you write your data _first_, you're never going to see corruption
at all.

This is why I absolutely _detest_ the idiotic ext3 writeback behavior. It
literally does everything the wrong way around - writing data later than
the metadata that points to it. Whoever came up with that solution was a
moron. No ifs, buts, or maybes about it.

Linus