Re: Linux 2.6.29

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Mar 24 2009 - 15:28:28 EST

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009, Theodore Tso wrote:

> With ext2 after a system crash you need to run fsck. With ext4, fsck
> isn't an issue,

Bah. A corrupt filesystem is a corrupt filesystem. Whether you have to
fsck it or not should be a secondary concern.

I personally find silent corruption to be _worse_ than the non-silent one.
At least if there's some program that says "oops, your inode so-and-so
seems to be scrogged" that's better than just silently having bad data in
it.

Of course, never having bad data _nor_ needing fsck is clearly optimal.
data=ordered gets pretty close (and data=journal is unacceptable for
performance reasons).

But I really don't understand filesystem people who think that "fsck" is
the important part, regardless of whether the data is valid or not. That's
just stupid and _obviously_ bogus.

Linus