Re: Thinkpad T61 - Fan running a lot of time

From: Renato S. Yamane
Date: Tue Mar 24 2009 - 21:02:31 EST

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
Renato S. Yamane wrote:
The fan speed is ~2600RPM (always under 3000RPM), and I think that is
not enough to cooling the processor, because is necessary 3min to
decrease 1°C in Core1 and only 40sec to increase 1°C.

I think that is necessary a higher fan speed.

Or a better thermal coupling between the fan assembly and the
processor... this is a weak area on thinkpads.

If your box is still under warranty, I suggest you to use
thinkpad-acpi fan control to keep your fan at level 7 (fastest normal
fan level). If that's not enough, call in for a motherboard
replacement.

Updated BIOS to 7LETC5WW (2.25) and...

Fan speed is stabilished in ~3000RPM, temperature go to 42°C and fan speed still power-on.

# cat /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
status: enabled
speed: 3028
level: auto

# echo level 7 > /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
bash: echo: write error: Invalid argument

How can I change fan level?

Regards,
Renato