/proc/bus/input/devices changing while booting

From: Stefan Sassenberg
Date: Wed Mar 25 2009 - 12:21:13 EST

Hello,

while booting, an init-script on my machine greps the Handlers entry of a certain device (USB touchscreen) from /proc/bus/input/devices. It ends with "event2", so I configure my software to listen for events in /dev/input/event2. A few seconds later /proc/bus/input/devices changes, the order of the devices is different and the Handlers entry for my device ends with event1 making my device misconfigured and thus unusable.

Can anybody explain that behaviour? How can I get the final eventX device file?

I'm using kernel 2.6.28.8 on an Intel Celeron, chipset ICH5.

Regards

Stefan