Re: Anyone working on ftrace function graph support on ARM?

From: Tim Bird
Date: Wed Mar 25 2009 - 12:41:48 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:
> Unwinding is not realistic or desired for the function tracer - it
> runs in every kernel function so performance is paramount.
>
> So, if i understood you correctly, an OABI_COMPAT and FRAME_POINTERS
> dependency has to be added to the ARM HAVE_FUNCTION_GRAPH_TRACER
> Kconfig rule.

This, unfortunately, is a problem for me. All my ARM
projects are now using EABI. If the unwinding looks like
it has too much overhead, I'll do some research on the
-finstrument-functions (__cyg_profile_func_enter/exit) approach.

I'm not sure, however, if it's possible to integrate this with
the dynamic tracing mechanisms, though. So something may have
to give to get this supported on ARM.
-- Tim