Re: [tip:tracing/kmemtrace] rcutree: fix rcu_tree_trace.c datastructure dependencies

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Wed Mar 25 2009 - 12:58:14 EST

* Paul E. McKenney <paulmck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I think many of the data definitions (and the resulting include
> > file dependencies) in include/linux/rcu*.h could move into
> > kernel/rcu*.h and be privatized that way. 'struct rcu_state'
> > would be an example.
> >
> > Agreed?
>
> In principle, yes. In practice, my attempts to make headway in
> this direction have usually collided with the desire to inline
> some of the functions that appear on fastpaths, so I would prefer
> caution when moving in this direction, especially given my
> treercu-related todos, to which "speeding up synchronize_rcu()"
> just got added.

I think there's a solution, for example the quiescent-state inlines
could still be offered in a kernel/rcupdate_internals.h header to be
included by kernel/softirq.c et al directly.

Otherwise ... i think it generally is not worth the trouble to put
huge data types into common headers just to be able to inline into a
small number of callsites.

Ingo