Re: Credit for vsprintk work

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Mar 25 2009 - 13:02:35 EST

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009, Steven Rostedt wrote:

> $ git blame lib/vsprintf.c |grep 'Frederic Weisbecker' | wc -l
> 542
>
> You did a hell of a lot of work on vsprintf.c, and you are still too
> modest to put in a copyright at the top.

I don't disagree, but "git blame" is _not_ a good way to do this.

At a minimum, use "git blame -w -M" to ignore stuff that was just moved
and re-indented. but even then, quite frankly, "git blame" doesn't really
make much sense. If you have

if (!(flags & LEFT)) {
while (len < field_width--) {

that turns into

if (!(spec.flags & LEFT)) {
while (len < spec.field_width--) {

then blame will count the new lines to the person who did the change, but
was that really a code change? It was a small re-org.

I picked that example because those particular lines actually go back to
before even the bitkeeper days - their original author is lost in history.
It used to look different (field_width was called 'size' back in the
days), but the logic of the code may well go back to the original code by
Lasu in 1991.

The only point here? Don't use "git blame" as a copyright assigner.

Linus