Re: Linux 2.6.29

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Mar 25 2009 - 20:12:21 EST

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009, Jan Kara wrote:

> I can write a patch to make writepage() in the non-"mmapped creation"
> case non-blocking on journal. But I'll also have to find out whether it
> really helps something. But it's probably worth trying...

Actually, it really should be easier to make a patch that just does the
journal thing if ->set_page_dirty() is called, and buffers weren't already
allocated.

Then ext3_[ordered|writeback]_writepage() _should_ just become something
like

if (test_opt(inode->i_sb, NOBH))
return nobh_writepage(page, ext3_get_block, wbc);

return block_write_full_page(page, ext3_get_block, wbc);

and that's it. The code would be simpler to understand to boot.

Linus