Re: relatime: update once per day patches (was: ext3 IO latencymeasurements)

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Mar 26 2009 - 12:24:33 EST

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009, Andrew Morton wrote:

> Hard-wiring a 24-hour interval into the core VFS for all mounted
> filesystems is dumb.

Umm.

I generally agree witht he "leave policy to user space" people, but this
is an area where (a) user space has shown itself to not get it right (ie
people don't do even the existing relatime because distros don't) and (b)
what's the alternative?

> I (and others) pointed out that it would be better to implement this as
> a mount option. That suggestion was met with varying sillinesses and
> that is where things stand.

I'd suggest first just doing the 24 hour thing, and then, IF user space
actually ever gets its act together, and people care, and they _ask_ for a
mount option, that's when it's worth doing.

Linus