Re: Question about PRIVATE_FUTEX

From: Eric Dumazet
Date: Fri Mar 27 2009 - 01:51:28 EST

Minchan Kim a Ãcrit :
> Thanks for kind explanation.
>
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 1:56 PM, Eric Dumazet <dada1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Minchan Kim a Ãcrit :
>>> Hi, Peter and Eric.
>>>
>>> I am not expert about futex.
>>> I am sorry if this is dumb question.
>>>
>>> If we use private futex, get_futex_key don't call get_user_pages_fast
>>> which pins page at page table.
>>> Then, get_futex_value_locked calls __cpy_from_user_inatomic with
>>> pagefault_disable.
>>>
>>> Who make sure the user page is mapped at app's page table ?
>>>
>> Nothing makes sure user page is mapped, as we dont have to (for private futexes
>> at least, since the 'key' is a combination of the futex virtual address (not
>> depending on the underlying physical page) and the task mm (sort of a static
>> offset per task)
>> If no page is mapped, a normal error should be returned to user, since
>> access to futex location will trigger a fault.
>>

> I mean as follows.
> It seems even shared futex case.
>
> After calling get_user_pages_fast, get_futex_key calls unlock_page and
> put_page, too. Then futex_wait calls get_futex_value_locked.
>
> Generally, current page->count is one and nolocked.
> I think kernel reclaimer can reclaim the page.
>
> Wouldn't kernel reclaim the page between get_fuex_key and
> get_futex_value_locked ?
> If kernel reclaimed the page, __copy_from_user_inatomic can happens
> page fault although pagefault_disable is on.
>
> How do we make sure this race condition ?
> Do I miss something ?

Hmmm, so your question is not about PRIVATE futexes, but shared ones.

I guess if page is no more present, its not a problem since
get_futex_value_locked() returns an error. We then take a slow
path, calling get_user() and retrying whole futex logic.

However, comment at line 1213 is misleading I guess, since
we dont hold mmap semaphore anymore ?

* for shared futexes, we hold the mmap semaphore, so the mapping
* cannot have changed since we looked it up in get_futex_key.
*/
ret = get_futex_value_locked(&uval, uaddr);

So if page was un-mapped by another thread, and re-mapped to another physical
page, then this thread might sleep on 'kernel futex' not anymore reachable...

User error, as it is not supposed to happen in a sane program, undefined
result...