Re: sparc: struct device - replace bus_id with dev_name(), dev_set_name()

From: Kay Sievers
Date: Fri Mar 27 2009 - 08:22:23 EST

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 10:38, David Miller <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> From: "Kay Sievers" <kay.sievers@xxxxxxxx>

>> > But I don't like this.
>> >
>> > Could you please keep the macro around until everything is converted?
>> > Then you can remove the test entirely.
>> >
>> > Leaving it with just constants there is inviting confusion, no matter
>> > how short amount of time it will be there.
>>
>> I can add a SPARC_BUS_ID_SIZE, to that file, or in a sparc header, but
>> the core will not provide any such value, and have to, go to catch all
>> remaining occurrences across the tree. Where should I add it?
>
> You should keep BUS_ID_SIZE in the device.h header or wherever it is
> now.
>
> Then it's a simply grep to kill that off and all the references (and
> you have to systematically eliminate these no-longer-needed tests
> anyways) in one fell swoop.

Hey David,
it took a while, but it happened now, so this issue is coming back. :)

The name size limit is gone, there is no BUS_ID_SIZE thing anymore in
the driver core. BUS_ID_SIZE should go away in the 2.6.30 timeframe.

Could you please convert/remove BUS_ID_SIZE value from:
drivers/net/gianfar.h: char phy_bus_id[BUS_ID_SIZE];
drivers/net/ucc_geth.h: char phy_bus_id[BUS_ID_SIZE];
drivers/net/pasemi_mac.h: char phy_id[BUS_ID_SIZE];
include/linux/phy.h:#define MII_BUS_ID_SIZE (BUS_ID_SIZE - 3)
include/linux/phy.h: char bus_id[BUS_ID_SIZE];

Or let me know how you want to convert it, so I can do it?

Thanks a lot,
Kay