Re: DRM lock ordering fix series

From: Eric Anholt
Date: Fri Mar 27 2009 - 12:19:42 EST

On Fri, 2009-03-27 at 10:34 +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
> Eric Anholt <eric@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Here's hopefully the final attempt at the lock ordering fix for GEM. The
> > problem was introduced in .29 with the GTT mapping support. We hashed out
> > a few potential fixes on the mailing list and at OSTS. Peter's plan was
> > to use get_user_pages, but it has significant CPU overhead (10% cost to text
> > rendering, though part of that is due to some dumb userland code. But it's
> > dumb userland code we're all running).
>

> You are aware that there is a fast path now (get_user_pages_fast) which
> is significantly faster? (but has some limitations)

In the code I have, get_user_pages_fast is just a wrapper that calls the
get_user_pages in the way that I'm calling it from the DRM.

I'm assuming that that's changing. Can you explain what the "some
limitations" is? (Though, of course, in a comment in mm/util.c would be
better than email).

--
Eric Anholt
eric@xxxxxxxxxx eric.anholt@xxxxxxxxx