Re: Linux 2.6.29

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Fri Mar 27 2009 - 21:19:54 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:
Of course, your browsing history database is an excellent example of something you should _not_ care about that much, and where performance is a lot more important than "ooh, if the machine goes down suddenly, I need to be 100% up-to-date". Using fsync on that thing was just stupid, even

If you are doing a ton of web-based work with a bunch of tabs or windows open, you really like the post-crash restoration methods that Firefox now employs. Some users actually do want to checkpoint/restore their web work, regardless of whether it was the browser, the window system or the OS that crashed.

You may not care about that, but others do care about the integrity of the database that stores the active FF state (Web URLs currently open), a database which necessarily changes for each URL visited.

As an aside, I find it highly ironic that Firefox gained useful session management around the same time that some GNOME jarhead no-op'd GNOME session management[1] in X.

Jeff

[1] http://np237.livejournal.com/22014.html