Re: [git-pull -tip] x86: include inverse Xmas tree patches

From: Alexey Dobriyan
Date: Sun Mar 29 2009 - 06:18:34 EST

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 01:00:26AM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Thomas Gleixner <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > I do not disagree with include file cleanups (we've done many of
> > > them in this cycle and in previous cycles), but note that the
> > > reduction in include files at the top of .c files actually increases
> > > the chance of patch conflicts: when a new include file is added by
> > > two patches to the same .c file.
> >
> > Those conflicts are trivial and if we have a mechanism to anlyse
> > include dependencies then we can avoid such conflicts often at
> > all.
>
> Yeah, i agree that least 50% of the existing #include's are not
> needed.
>
> That's not the point though. When two new files both append to the
> #include file section, they'll clash. Those _new_ includes tend to
> be justified - people dont add #includes needlessly - it's years
> long bitrot that causes #includes to bloat up slowly.
>
> > Go through some of the include madness and watch the compiler
> > reading the same header file ten times for a single source file
> > compile.

Care to read strace(1) output? Include file is not even opened second
time.

[reads strace(1) output himself]

Correction!

Except, e. g., <asm/atomic.h> because i386/x86_64 unification dropped
ifndef guards in the right place and added them in the wrong one.

> Yes, we need both efforts. That section needs to look professional
> (unordered lines look amateurishly random, arbitrary and confusing),
> and it needs to be minimalized as well.

These are #include directives, how else should they look like.
As for confusing, as if you're looking for the first time at C code.

> And the xmas-tree helps the minimizing effort - as it trivially
> eliminates duplicate #includes (which do happen frequently as well),

yes, 5-10-20 for the whole tree per release and people periodically
removing them regardless of -tip, Xmas and so on.

> and they eliminate related includes as well because they get moved
> together and get noticed.

I'll answer on this later.

> Most importantly, such code needs to look like as if someone
> actually cared about it.

Reminder, this is include directives, not real code.

> If code looks tidy, people assume that it's
> supposed to be perfect, and will notice and fix more subtle
> imperfections in it. If code looks totally messy on the other hand,
> _nobody_ will care because it's visibly broken. So these changes are
> a small step forward.

People probably forgot the real problem with includes and start
inventing new non-problems with all the consequences.

So here is my countersuggestion for small and useful improvements:

1. Plug ifndef guargs back on x86.
Check with strace(1) for past behaviour re non-opened includes.
Remove current ifdef guards (need much more thinking for consequences)

2. Do #1 for other arches which exercised similar transformation
(sparc/sparc64?)

3. For headers with small and let's say bounded area like <asm/unistd.h>,
go check for every file including them and remove it if header genuinely
unneeded.

In case of <asm/unistd.h> this would check for copy_from_user/copy_to_user,
put_user/get_user, clear_user and not much more.

This will reduce compile time _and_ size of DEBUG_INFO=y kernels.