Re: replace() system call needed (was Re: EXT4-ish "fixes" in UBIFS)

From: Artem Bityutskiy
Date: Sun Mar 29 2009 - 09:57:32 EST

ext Pavel Machek wrote:
On Sun 2009-03-29 16:07:35, Artem Bityutskiy wrote:
Pavel Machek wrote:
On Sun 2009-03-29 16:00:45, Artem Bityutskiy wrote:
Pavel Machek wrote:
2. create/write/rename leads to empty files
..but this should not be. If we want to make that explicit, we should
provide "replace()" operation; where replace is rename that makes sure
that source file is completely on media before commiting the rename.
Well, OK, we can fsync() before rename, we just need clean rules
for this, so that all Linux FSes would follow them. Would be nice
to have final agreement on all this stuff.
My proposal is

rename() stays.
It stays and:

1. does _not_ fsync
Does not fsync. If someone wants to make sure one of the files is on
the disk, he should use replace(). [On non-linux systems, replace()
should be implemented as fsync/rename in libc or something.]
I would be happy with these rules. But the fact is, application
people just refuse to add fsync before rename. They say that the
FS has to do this. And they say that even Linus supports them,

That's good. fsync before rename would be ugly regression (on ext3 at
least). We should get them to use replace() syscall, not get them to
add fsyncs. [Of course, that means we need replace syscall first. :-)]

I'd say it is better to fix ext3 then.

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy (ÐÑÑÑÐ ÐÐÑÑÑÐÐÐ)