Re: [patch 0/6] Guest page hinting version 7.

From: Martin Schwidefsky
Date: Sun Mar 29 2009 - 10:20:46 EST

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 20:06:03 -0400
Rik van Riel <riel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dave Hansen wrote:
> > On Fri, 2009-03-27 at 16:09 +0100, Martin Schwidefsky wrote:
> >> If the host picks one of the
> >> pages the guest can recreate, the host can throw it away instead of writing
> >> it to the paging device. Simple and elegant.
> >
> > Heh, simple and elegant for the hypervisor. But I'm not sure I'm going
> > to call *anything* that requires a new CPU instruction elegant. ;)
>
> I am convinced that it could be done with a guest-writable
> "bitmap", with 2 bits per page. That would make this scheme
> useful for KVM, too.

This was our initial approach before we came up with the milli-code
instruction. The reason we did not use a bitmap was to prevent the
guest to change the host state (4 guest states U/S/V/P and 3 host
states r/p/z). With the full set of states you'd need 4 bits. And the
hosts need to have a "master" copy of the host bits, one the guest
cannot change, otherwise you get into trouble.

--
blue skies,
Martin.