Re: fastboot/async and initramfs: How am I supposed to know whendevices are finished initializing?

From: Thomas Bächler
Date: Sun Mar 29 2009 - 13:52:32 EST

Kay Sievers schrieb:
In initramfs, you have to wait until the device shows up, not for a
random module to initialize, or a bus to be scanned -- that can never
work correctly, it's pure luck, that your logic was always slower than
the kernel.

You need a block device -- so you should just wait for the block
device, instead of making assumptions about initialization of drivers
or buses. :)

I am planning to do that but there is one problem: Usually, the user specifies a root device, or a device that I want to open with cryptsetup, or anything similar and I can wait until it shows up.

For lvm however, the user does not specify a specific block device that I can wait for, instead lvm scans all available block devices. Now, how do I know that the block device that contains my physical volume is already there? Maybe I have several hard drives, and several volume groups, so should I now call vgchange -ay again and again until the right volume group shows up?