Re: DRM lock ordering fix series

From: Eric Anholt
Date: Mon Mar 30 2009 - 02:29:49 EST

On Sat, 2009-03-28 at 02:29 +0100, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-03-28 at 01:58 +0100, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
>
> > > OK. I'm not too excited here -- 10% of 2% of the CPU time doesn't get
> > > me to the 10% loss that the slow path added up to. Most of the cost is
> > > in k{un,}map_atomic of the returned pages.
> >
> > Also note that doing large gup() with gup_fast() will be undesirable due
> > to it disabling IRQs. So iterating say several MB worth of pages will
> > hurt like crazy. Currently all gup_fast() users do a single page lookup.
>
> Also, what's this weird facination with 32bit, can you even buy a 32bit
> only cpu these days?

I work on OpenGL. Many people using OpenGL want to play commercial
games. Commercial games are 32-bit. sysprof doesn't work for 32-on-64,
so I'd lose a critical tool. Thus, 32-only.

keithp runs 32-on-64, and just about every day we're working together,
we lament that he can't run sysprof on his box. Getting ~10% of my CPU
back by going 32-on-64 would be nice, but it's not worth not being able
to usefully profile.

--
Eric Anholt
eric@xxxxxxxxxx eric.anholt@xxxxxxxxx