Re: [patch 4/6] Guest page hinting: writable page table entries.

From: Martin Schwidefsky
Date: Wed Apr 01 2009 - 10:37:44 EST

On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 09:25:34 -0400
Rik van Riel <riel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Martin Schwidefsky wrote:
>
> This code has me stumped. Does it mean that if a page already
> has the PageWritable bit set (and count_ok stays 0), we will
> always mark the page as volatile?
>
> How does that work out on !s390?

No, we will not always mark the page as volatile. If PG_writable is
already set count_ok will stay 0 and a call to page_make_volatile is
done. This differs from page_set_volatile as it repeats all the
required checks, then calls page_set_volatile with a PageWritable(page)
as second argument. What state the page will get depends on the
architecture definition of page_set_volatile. For s390 this will do a
state transition to potentially volatile as the PG_writable bit is set.
On architecture that cannot check the dirty bit on a physical page basis
you need to make the page stable.

--
blue skies,
Martin.