Re: [RFC] percpu: convert SNMP mibs to new infra

From: Rusty Russell
Date: Thu Apr 02 2009 - 01:05:08 EST

On Thursday 02 April 2009 05:14:47 Eric Dumazet wrote:
> Here is a preliminary patch for SNMP mibs that seems to work well on x86_32
>
> [RFC] percpu: convert SNMP mibs to new infra

OK, I have a whole heap of "convert to dynamic per-cpu" patches waiting in
the wings too, once Tejun's conversion is complete.

Also, what is optimal depends on the arch: we had a long discussion on this
(it's what local_t was supposed to do, with cpu_local_inc() etc: see
Subject: local_add_return 2008-12-16 thread).

eg. on S/390, atomic_inc is a win over the two-counter version. On Sparc,
two-counter wins. On x86, inc wins (obviously).

But efforts to create a single primitive have been problematic: maybe
open-coding it like this is the Right Thing.

Cheers,
Rusty.