Re: Ext4 and the "30 second window of death"

From: Bron Gondwana
Date: Thu Apr 02 2009 - 18:37:55 EST

On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 11:44:20AM -0700, david@xxxxxxx wrote:
> let's not talk a database here, let's talk something simpler, like a POP3
> mail client (even though I strongly favor IMAP ;-)
>
> it wants to have the message saved before it deletes it from the server.
>
> how should it try to do this?
>
> the only portable method is to fsync the file after it's written and
> before sending the delete to the server.
>
> so your mail client _should_ issue fsync calls.
>
> however, some (many, most??) users would probably be willing to loose a
> little e-mail to gain a significant increase in battery life on their
> laptops.

Obviously it should do a spamminess test. If the sender is in your
addressbook/whitelist then fsync it, otherwise if it looks spammy,
don't bother.

Seriously, there's no way of telling which emails are the really
important job offer/flight confirmation/invitation from that really
cute girl you met that one time...

... lots of data is like that. It's usually not important except
when it really, really is - and the average user don't want to be
babysitting every single decision about importance.

"Your email program wants to spin up the disk to store a message,
confirm or deny"

Bron.