Re: Regression X Hangs at bootup -- PATCH

From: Eric Anholt
Date: Tue Apr 07 2009 - 22:34:18 EST

On Tue, 2009-04-07 at 22:14 +0200, Florian Mickler wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 09:21:40 -0700
> Eric Anholt <eric@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > drm_free's other arguments are unused memory debug leftovers. I've
> > got a patch I need to push at airlied to remove
> > drm_malloc/drm_calloc/drm_free.
> >
> in that case it is of course a non issue. but would you mind
> to add a note like 'this adds a memleak to i915_gem_put_relocs_to_user
> which will be fixed in a followup patch', or just rebase it onto that
> patch?

Just to be clear, there is no memleak:

/** Wrapper around kfree() */
static __inline__ void drm_free(void *pt, size_t size, int area)
{
kfree(pt);
}

The arg would only get used if DRM_DEBUG_MEMORY was set, but there's no
way in the kernel to do so. I don't think anybody's used it in years,
and I'm sure there would be broken drm_free arguments since it's
untested. It was never very useful even back in the day, since most
everything ended up lumped under DRM_MEM_DRIVER.

--
Eric Anholt
eric@xxxxxxxxxx eric.anholt@xxxxxxxxx