Re: Identifying Intel Atom Z500PT

From: Michael Riepe
Date: Wed Apr 08 2009 - 13:46:28 EST

Hi!

Robert Schwebel wrote:
> Does anyone have an idea how to properly identify an Atom Z500PT cpu?
> The get_model_name() mechanics in arch/x86/kernel/cpu/common.c uses
> cpuid() to find out about the brand id, which is "Genuine Intel(R) CPU"
> with family 6 and model 28.

Family 6, model 28, stepping 2 seems to be common to all current Atoms
-- my 330 reports the same. There are some flags, however, that
currently only appear in the Z series, e.g. vmx is not available on the
230/330/N270. To differentiate between the latter, you could look for
64-bit support (which is missing in the N270) and the number of cores.
Besides that, the 230/330 models lack the speedstep feature.

I don't know if there's a way to distinguish a -P model from a -PT
model. But from a software point of view, they should be identical anyway.

> Below is the output of /proc/cpuinfo on that box:
>
> root@phyCORE:~ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep model | head -n 2
> model : 28
> model name : Genuine Intel(R) CPU @ 1.10GHz

Strange - the 330 reports: