Re: 2.6.30-rc1: OOPS on usb disk insert

From: Justin Madru
Date: Thu Apr 09 2009 - 02:47:08 EST

Kay Sievers wrote:
On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 23:07, Justin Madru <jdm64@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Andrew Morton wrote:
On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 22:05:24 -0700 Justin Madru <jdm64@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Testing out .30-rc1 and usb devises don't work. I insert my flash disk
and get this oops.

The trace appears to be claiming that kernel/async.c:async_new.func is
NULL.

But it cannot be - it's initialised at compilation time. Unless
something scribbled on it of course.

I've seen async problems with other subsystem too, maybe caused by a
corruption which is fixed by:
http://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/16776/

-static void __init acpi_battery_init_async(void *unused, ...
+static void acpi_battery_init_async(void *unused, ...

Kay

I've applied the following patches (to try to fix other bugs) and I no longer get a BUG/OOPS
although the patches might have not been the cause of the fix, but inserting the disk still doesn't works.

http://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/17199/
http://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/17025/
http://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/17039/

It now complains of: FAT: IO charset cp437 not found
Which I've found a work around by:

<insert flash disk>
syslog complains: FAT: IO charset cp437 not found
sudo modprobe -r nls_cp437
sudo modprobe -i nls_cp437
<remove then reinsert flash disk>
syslog complains: FAT: IO charset iso8859_1 not found
sudo modprobe -r nls_iso8859_1
sudo modprobe -i nls_iso8859_1
<insert flash disk>
profit!!

So, I have to insert the disk 3 times before it works. although after that it just works, until I reboot and I have to repeat the unload/load modules.

Justin Madru