Re: [RFC] Static/Runtime CPU/IO bound scheduling polices based onCPU(s) to support complete spectrum of tasks

From: Jaswinder Singh Rajput
Date: Thu Apr 09 2009 - 06:28:38 EST

On Tue, 2009-04-07 at 17:02 +0530, Jaswinder Singh Rajput wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-04-07 at 12:58 +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 03:55:31PM +0530, Jaswinder Singh Rajput wrote:
> > > I am planning to prepare the followings:
> >
> > This seems all quite vague. Perhaps it would be good if you started
> > with a clear definition what problem you're trying to solve.

I do not surprise, if this approach seems vague to many developers
because this is many years ahead of time.

If you can see the future, then you can see in next few years we will
get single processor with hundreds of symmetrical and asymmetrical cores
then we need to treat each core as a different system and each core will
be dedicated for specific use and task and we need different scheduling
polices for each core.

Even in embedded space, hundreds of small asymmetrical processors will
be compact into a single die to save power, space, communication and so
on.

> This will solves 2 major problems:
>
> 1. Support complete task spectrum (Hard/soft/non Realtime) on one
> system.
>
> 2. Take Maximum advantage of the each CPU core and treat each CPU core
> as a System. So we can take maximum utilization of the Hardware.

Further more this will create healthy competition in different
schedulers. And then we can see which scheduler is best for which case.

--
JSR