LTP 20080131 causes defunct processes w/2.6.30-rc1 (possible ptrace issue?)

From: Kumar Gala
Date: Thu Apr 09 2009 - 11:44:17 EST

I'm seeing some weird behavior in 2.6.30-rc1 that didn't exist in 2.6.29. We have a slightly older LTP version (20080131) that we run on some embedded PPC boards. If I run the syscall tests on 2.6.29 things pass as expected. W/2.6.30-rc1 I start seeing a slew of processes that are "defunct". I was able to trim down the tests to the following ones (the recv01 test will become defunct):

ptrace01 ptrace01
ptrace02 ptrace02
ptrace03 ptrace03

recv01 recv01

I'm able to reproduce this in a simulator, and am working on bisecting it down now.

Was wondering if there was anything ptrace related that went in that could possible cause this?

- k