Re: [RFC GIT PULL (late)] Xen updates for v2.6.30

From: Kevin Bowling
Date: Thu Apr 09 2009 - 17:36:12 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:

> Linus,
>
> Would you still be willing to pull pending Xen updates? They can be
> pulled from:
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tip/linux-2.6-tip.git
> xen-for-linus
>
> These are late, delayed past the merge window due to the discussions
> around the DOM0 bits and due to an exceptionally busy merge window.

There are a lot of us that would really like to see Xen dom0 merged
upstream, and several people were disappointed when it didn't go in the
2.6.30-rc1 merge window (check that thread). The biggest concern was "do
people _want_ Xen merged?" rather than any technical problems with the code.
I think, without a doubt, yes. Xen is used by many corporations. It has
excellent performance, works across platforms that do not have hardware
virt, and has a proven track record -- check out companies like Linode.com
and Slicehost. It also has the maintainership of Citrix, so it is unlikely
that the code will stagnate or become a burden to other maintainers.

Since the state of Xen dom0 was not addressed in the 2.6.30-rc1 thread,
please state your intentions here.

Regards,

Kevin