Re: [tip:x86/setup] x86, setup: "glove box" BIOS calls --infrastructure

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sun Apr 12 2009 - 12:35:10 EST

* Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sure, go ahead and wrap them in some kind of "save and restore all
> registers" wrapping, but nothing fancier than that. It would just
> be overkill, and likely to break more than it fixes.

Yeah. I only brought up the virtualization thing as a hypothetical:
"if" corrupting the main OS ever became a widespread problem. Then i
made the argument that this is unlikely to happen, because Windows
will be affected by it just as much. (while register state
corruptions might go unnoticed much more easily, just via the random
call-environment clobbering of registers by Windows itself.)

The only case where i could see virtualization to be useful is the
low memory RAM corruption pattern that some people have observed.

The problem with it, it happens on s2ram transitions, and that is
driven by SMM mainly - which is a hypervisor sitting on top of all
the other would-be-hypervisors and thus not virtualizable.

Which leaves us without a single practical case. So it's not going
to happen.

Ingo